Labels

about me (1) accessories (1) decoration (3) downloads (1) gift ideas (2) gifts (3) girls (1) Halloween (1) house (1) kids (2) mothers day (2) tutorials (5) Wood (1) wreath (1)

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Flower Balls | decoration

What we're making today!

What you need:
  • foam balls (they come in packs of 1, 3 or 6 depending on the size you choose to get.  I got the 6 pack from Roberts Crafts but I actually think they're cheaper at Hobby Lobby)
  • dowels, for the stem (also purchased from Roberts Crafts, I got a couple skinny ones back by the custom framing department for like .79cents a pop)
  • scrapbook paper (for these little 3" balls it takes about 2 squares of scrapbook paper per ball-I actually use two different shades, so it uses about half of each)
  • pins (white ball kind, also purchasable from Hobby lobby for pretty cheap)
  • 1 flower punch found at Michaels (the flowers I have are more like daisies and I like the hydrangea...so had I to do it over again I'd do that for two reasons.  One, I like the look of it better, two, it's a larger punch and you have to punch fewer flowers!)

To begin:
1.  For the flowers.  Punch out your flowers.  If you're going to do two different shades of flowers you only need about 3/4 of both squares.  So punch out your flowers and put them in piles.  On my flower balls I have two different shades of scrapbook paper.  This was an accident because I ran out of flowers on the first one so for the second flower I decided to do the bottom petals a darker shade than the top petals.  I like it because it adds a little dimension to it.
 2.  Now what I do, is start in the middle and make a ring around the ball.
3.  Then I go up.  I've found it's easiet, or less time consuming after I get my first round done, to stash the bottom ones underneath the other layers....see picture.
4.  Just keep doing this all around the flower and you're done!
5.  Sometimes, I put a dark on in the very top because it gets hard to stuff them in when it gets tight...

 I put mine in a vase with some rafia grass from easter, but you can just leave them as balls and put them in a bowl or do whatever.
Good luck crafting...and comment if you need help!

No comments:

Post a Comment